Gum diseases are common to many people across the globe. They can attack both adults and children, and they are caused by failure to observe oral hygiene. When you consume food, some food particles are left in the teeth and the gums. When they decompose, they form bacteria, which penetrate your gums. Sugary foods are also known to cause tooth decay. Tooth decay may also result in disorders such as periodontitis, gingivitis, and root canals. However, even if a root canal is not a gum disease, its effects can cause gum problems. Since your oral health is very important, Monterey gum disease is the best practice in treating and managing periodontal diseases. Below are the causes of gum diseases.
The Primary Causes of Gum Diseases
According to dentists, many things result in gum diseases. However, the leading causes of these diseases are germs or bacteria developing and spreading out into the gums. Causes include:
- Hormonal change. Hormones are components that regulate the functionality of your body. Women are mostly affected by hormonal changes more than men. As such, they get gum infections during pregnancy, puberty, menstruation cycle, and menopause due to hormonal changes. Gingivitis can develop during hormonal change.
- Medications. Some medications are toxic, and when they come into contact with your gums, they may cause infections. This normally happens through saliva movement. Drugs that can cause extra growth of your gum are Adalat, anti-angina, Procardia, antidepressants, Dilantin, and anticonvulsants. Despite these drugs causing gum diseases, they also severely change the color of your teeth.
- Illness. Illnesses such as cancer and HIV affect the appearance of your gum. These diseases reduce the immune system that helps your gums to fight and overcome disorders. Diabetes is another disease that can affect your gums. Since your body cannot regulate blood sugar, you are at risk of getting cavities and periodontal diseases.
- Lifestyle. Your lifestyle defines the overall health of your body. If your lifestyle is full of bad habits such as smoking, eating tobacco, and using drugs, you can get gum diseases easily. For instance, smoking affects the gum tissues which protect the inner part of the gums from germs and bacteria. Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do to prevent periodontal diseases.
- Poor oral hygiene. Keeping your mouth clean is a fundamental pillar of oral hygiene. It is essential to brush your teeth after every meal with the recommended toothbrush and toothpaste. It would help if you took time when cleaning your teeth to make sure that you have removed all food particles. Failure to clean your teeth properly causes the remaining food particles to decompose and result in gum diseases such as gingivitis.
Most gum diseases are treatable and manageable. However, when they are severe, they cause your gums to feel pain, swell, and bleed. Perio & Implant Centers of Monterey Bay – Silicon Valley have the best dentists who can treat any gum disease you are suffering from. Visit them today and enjoy a healthy mouth.